Sunday 15 June 2014

1. Did Holden's judgmental personality effect the way you as a reader might perceive a character? Do you trust his judgements?

I do believe that Holden's judgmental personality effects the way, I, as a reader perceive a character, but more at the start of the book. I didn't expect Holden to have a such a judgmental personality and believed what he was saying. Although by the end of the book, I had grown accustom to his personality. Throughout the novel he is constantly pointing out the wickedness, phoniness, and boring personalities in the people around him and as the book progressed, I realized that all of his judgements may have not be accurate. I would constantly question whether or not the way Holden would perceive someone, would be the way an average person would perceive them. For example, in chapter 3 Holden says, "He was at least a pretty friendly guy, Stradlater. It was partly a phony kind of friendly..." (pg 26) Can we really trust Holden's judgement here? Is Stradlater's friendliness really phony or is that just the way Holden perceives it? In chapter 10, Holden goes to a bar and is again judging people as soon as he steps into the bar. He says, " At the table right next to me, there were these girls around thirty or so. The whole three of them were pretty ugly...(pg 69) I believe that if Holden had not constantly been so overly judgemental in the book I may not have questioned is judgement. Although, as it was a reoccurring theme, I do not trust the way he describes people's looks or personality.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Holden's judgemental personality gave me a different look at who he is, I don't think i look at him as a bad person, just someone who is mentally insecure about themselves. In all honesty, I think Holden was more interesting and amusing because of his judgemental personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holden establishes at the beginning of the book that he is a "terrific liar" which already diminishes his credibility. He might be mentally insecure, yet he does not seem to ever question himself or judge himself as insecure people often do, but instead shits on everyone around him instead, so idk if he isn't a bad person.

      Delete