Thursday 19 June 2014

7. What causes Holden’s inner conflict?



Holden suffered through traumatic situations while he was younger, with the most impactful being the death of Allie. Allie died of leukemia at the age of eleven, when Holden was thirteen. Holden and Allie were extremely close so his death brought Holden into a state of depression.
“I was only thirteen, and they were going to have my psychoanalyzed and all, because I broke all the windows in the garage. I don't blame them. I really don't. I slept in the garage the night he died, and I broke all the goddam windows with my fist, just for the hell of it. I even tried to break all the windows on the station wagon we had that summer, but my hand was already broken and everything by that time, and I couldn't do it. It was a very stupid thing to do, I'll admit, but I hardly didn't even know I was doing it, and you didn't know Allie.” (50)
Something else that brought on Holden’s inner conflict was his relationship with his parents. Since they did not communicate much, Holden did not have anyone to comfort him or pay attention to his problems as they arose, thus his problems spiraled out of control for years. Holden explains to Mr. Antolini, “That digression business got on my nerves. I don't know. The trouble with me is, I like it when somebody digresses. It's more interesting and all.” (238) which is a direct link to Holden’s story. Holden digresses the thought of adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment