Monday 16 June 2014

What effects does this book have on me? Does it excite me, confuse me, bore me? If so, why?

In my opinion, this book was anything but boring. I found this book quite exciting and very different from the books I normally would read. At the start of the novel, I was slightly confused as Holden does lie often in the book and continuously call people phonies. I would question why he would do these things. Although as the book progressed I started to understand that Holden’s character was very complex and there were reasons behind his actions. He lies to prevent personal connections and calls people phonies because of the high expectations he has for society. I also liked how all the characters, even the smallest ones, in the books highlighted Holden’s personality. For example, when Holden enters a bar in chapter 12, he is very unimpressed with the piano player, Ernie. He says, “ Anyway, when he finished, and everybody was clapping their heads off, old Ernie turned around on his stool and gave this very phony, humble bow. Like as if he was a helluva humble guy, besides being a terrific piano player. It was very phony...” (pg 84) Even Ernie, a very minor character who only appears once in the book highlights Holden’s personality and his expectations for society. All the characters had a roll to play in this novel. This novel had me on the edge of my seat as I found Holden very unpredictable, as the things he does and says are very contradictory. I found this novel very interesting and exciting and loved the character development in Holden.

No comments:

Post a Comment