Thursday 19 June 2014

What effect does this book have on me? Does it excite me, confuse me, bore me? If so, why?

The novel The Catcher in the Rye had quite a strong message and I found it to teach me some important life lessons, however I found the book quite underwhelming. I found Holden to be a spoiled child whom needed to stop feeling sorry for himself and deal with the world around him. Holden lived in a wealthy family his entire life. Through having a privileged existence he is casually able to be a smug brat and criticise those who don’t meet his standards of social duty. As an inclusive sixteen year old, Holden doesn’t know much about the world around him, but he acts as though he knows everything about life. Today society’s role models tend to be those who are working hard for themselves rather than phonies causing problems. Perhaps I would have more respect for Holden, therein having a more open opinion on the story, in the 1950’s. Aside from the frustrating actions of Holden, the writing itself was quite interesting with the usage of repeated phrases like “kind of” and the constant use of the passive voice. Overall the novel has been adored by many, but personally the hypocritical actions of Holden Caulfield were too displeasing for me.

1 comment:

  1. Although Holden may be a "spoiled kid, feeling sorry for himself and is very judgmental," he is dealing with mental illness, and the loss of his brother. This isn't an excuse to constantly judge people, I know, but it does provide some explanation, as to why he judges people and feels sorry for himself.

    ReplyDelete