Sunday 15 June 2014

9. Overall, do you like Holden’s character?

Overall, I do enjoy Holden's character. He is not an average teenager. His experiences make him unique and unlike anyone I have ever met. I very much enjoyed reading about his adventures and seeing how he develops as a character. Everything about him was very intriguing. Firstly, I liked the way he talked and described people. Although very judgmental, it made him a very interesting character. Seeing him develop from calling people phonies, to realizing he can’t save all innocents and expect society to live up to his expectations was very fascinating. It was like he had a hero-complex throughout the book and at the end, he realized that he can’t save everyone from loosing their innocences. Holden is a very complex character, as what he says or does often contradicts other things he says or does. For example, Holden is always saying how lonesome he is but he has a lot of trouble connecting with people. This is probably because he has incredibly high standards when it comes to people in general along with society. Holden’s brother dying, and his depression made for a long and hard journey but that’s what makes his character so alluring. He is not your typical teenager, which made his character more absorbing. 


2 comments:

  1. I agree with that facts that Holden is very complex and far from the norm, but in my personal opinion I do not like Holden. He spent his weekend sulking about life and waiting for it to fix itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Holden is a very interesting character. I think he is funny because when he talks to people he says the aspects that are good about that person but then he thinks in his head of all of their bad aspects and decides that he doesn't really like them. For example, when he is talking with Ackley he says that Stradlater is a very generous guy but then he later says that Stradlater is a "secret slob," and he asks for a lot of favours and doesn't return the favour. I like that he gives us a lot of judgements about what he thinks and then some facts about the people because it lets you come up with if you think that person is a bad or a good person. I also think its kind of funny how he refers to the movies a lot and really hates them, I think that Holden is sometimes very hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete