Thursday 19 June 2014

4. What fears does Holden have?

The most significant of Holden’s fears are the fears of growing up, intimacy, and human interactions. It is clear that the novel is bildungsroman, but what gives the Catcher in the Rye an interesting contrast to other bildungsroman stories is that Holden resents the very thing that progresses his story. Just like the Eskimos in the museum, eternal fixations give Holden a sense of reassurance, whilst change puts him into an uncomfortable state. Intimacy is the only fear that Holden admits to.
“I knew I didn't have to get all dolled up for a prostitute or anything, but it sort of gave me something to do. I was a little nervous. I was starting to feel pretty sexy and all, but I was a little nervous anyway. If you want to know the truth, I'm a virgin. I really am. I've had quite a few opportunities to lose my virginity and all, but I've never got around to it yet. Something always happens. […] I came quite close to doing it a couple of times, though. One time in particular, I remember. Something went wrong, though – I don't even remember what any more. The thing is, most of the time when you're coming pretty close to doing it with a girl – a girl that isn't a prostitute or anything, I mean – she keeps telling you to stop. The trouble with me is, I stop. Most guys don't. I can't help it. You never know whether they really want you to stop, or whether they're just scared as hell, or whether they're just telling you to stop so that if you do go through with it, the blame'll be on you, not them. Anyway, I keep stopping.” (120-121)
Even though Holden never follows through with his intimate acts he constantly searches for new relationships. Holden’s last crucial fear is social interactions. Holden is very capable of holding conversations, such as when he befriended the two nuns, but his conflict is with forming strong bonds with anyone. The strongest bond he has is with Phoebe whom he rarely sees because of school. Holden uses alienation as a form of self-protection. By excluding himself from others he can keep his views of hierarchy with himself on the top and the phonies on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment