Sunday 15 June 2014

2. Why do you think Holden idolizes Phoebe and Allie so much?

Holden idolizes Phoebe and Allie because they meet his expectations of what society should be like. Holden would like if every person in society stayed innocent, but this is not the case. Holden judges people because of the expectation he has for society. The very young generation, Phoebe and Allie, still have their innocences and this is why he admires them so much. Holden states, "I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all... What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them... I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be" (pg 173). Holden has a desire to make sure young children keep their innocents into adulthood. This may be because of his brother, Allie. I believe that Holden may admire Allie more then Phoebe. Allie, Holden’s brother, died very young and therefor will never loose his innocence. This could be why Holden has such expectations for society. He wants everyone to be innocent, like Allie and for the time being, like Phoebe. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Holden did idolize his little sister Phoebe, she is the only person in the book that he has any real connection with and communicates with effectively. Holden respects Phoebe, more than he respects any adults in his life. Holden really loves his sister, in fact she is the reason that he gives up on the idea of freezing to death in Central Park on the bench.

    ReplyDelete